Thursday, 8 October 2009

NaNo!

So. I have got what I want to write for NaNo and I am pretty excited about it. Though, there is always the chance that I'll be slammed face first into November with a new idea and spend a month writing that and then go 'argh! my other idea! nooo!'

Anyhow, it seems that although I picked mostly-steampunk as my genre before logging into the NaNo forums for this year, a fair number of fellow NaNo-ers are also doing steampunk. Creepy.

Anyhow, the story was essentially inspired by spam mail. All the names of the MCs are from spam mail. Win.

The story is in first person and written in a fairly....high class? way. The MC is a high class lady but she does have a sense of humour, more so than most. Although the novel is set in the future, the world is powered by steam. Huzzah! I may or may not have to come up with an explanation for that.

The main character - Catina Edgar - is drawn into the world of vampire hunting (and the hunting of other creatures of the night - when on her wedding night her new husband suddenly begins to shed his skin and attack her! She is saved by the vampire hunter, Henrietta Conte and thus begins the story. Catina's maid is also drawn in and she will become a subplot if I have my way and remember to put her in properly.

The title for the moment is The Cradle of Salvation - named after a line in a Draconian song that I was listening to on my paper round. In the idea I have, Henrietta is looking for the Cradle (for reasons that shall remain a secret). I may make the Cradle be a person not an object, but I'm not sure whether that's cliche or not. A lot of stories have a person be the thing someones looking for (coughcoughHeroescoughcough).

Anyway, I'm pretty excited.

Also because there is a second story I'll have on the go at the same time. It isn't a serious one and I don't intend to finish it. It's the sort of light hearted, plotless thing to relieve writers block. Inspired by our RP sessions, it's about a narrator trying to take a band of heroes to stop the Dark Lord. But they don't really want to cooperate, if you catch my drift.

Heh, it'll be good for writing amusing dialogue and keeping me occupied.

See ya later

Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment